New meeting place for May meeting

We are experimenting with a new meeting place for our May meeting on May 8, 2018:

Runolfson Restoration
280 Martin Avenue
Suite 7   – all the way in the back
Santa Clara, CA  95050

This is near the Santa Clara Costco.

A dinner buffet will be available for $10 starting at 7pm.

See you there!

Meeting tomorrow, April 10

Just a reminder there is a meeting at Round Table Pizza tomorrow.

See you there.
— Brian
Here is last months minutes
GETTIN’ OFF 4WD Off-Road Club Meeting Minutes
When: Monthly, 2nd Tuesdays
Place: Round Table Pizza, 1220 Oakmead Pkwy, Sunnyvale
Eat & talk: 7:00 PM
Meeting began: 7:30 PM
WELCOME and BOARD REPORTS
President – Terry: Absent
Vice President – Paul E: No reports.
Secretary – Brian: Present.
Treasurer – Don: Present and ran the meeting
Members present:  Lyle Eric,Paul H., Randy,Roger,Grant,Matt,Tom,Michael,Hugh
Guests attendees: Tammi (3), Wais LJ Rubi, but bought a built rig during the meeting, Sal (friend of Wais) ZJ Grand Cherokee, AJ, CJ7
NEWEST MEMbER (drum roll please…) Tony! Way to Go4x4!
NEWS, ACTIONS & IDEAS
Meeting Venue: Since our club now has solid reservations for the rest of 2018 at Round Table – Oakmead Parkway, we have two choices for our  place to meet. The 2nd option is to meet at Eric & Heidi’s new shop near Costco in Santa Clara (near the airport). Eric & Heidi’s location is very nice and spacious. Lyle said last month that he might be able to cater this location. For now we’ll continue to meet at Round Table. Terry noted that Eric & Heidi’s place would  be perfect for special events, such as our Christmas dinner. 
“Gary M. Memorial BBQ Run”: Terry suggested we name our annual BBQ run in memory of Gary, whom all of us will miss. A vote was taken and the motion was agreed to.
VEHICLE PAINS & PROJECTS
Don: Needed a new battery, and found out his muffler is like Swiss cheese
Paul H, Wagoneer almost done. Took a few laps around the block. Just need to finish off a few little details (wiring, lights, etc..)
Tom: with Matts help replaced the rear main seal  easy to repair, hard to get to (brackets, braces, etc..)
Matt: After having rear locker issues, found his cheapy compressor was toast. Needed a compressed air jump start to get off the trail. Purchased a new one and will see how this one works. Also installed a regulator to reduce the pressure to the locker. High pressure no bueno.
Eric: Had the dealer replace his airbag under recall.
Grant: Installed a 2″ lift on his GF’s JKU. Replace his Rubicon Express rear suspension (junk) with a new Currie set up (not junk).
John: tons of stuff upgraded on his K5-Blazer: New rims, 38″ Toyo MTs, 6″ lift kit, winch, Ace Systems carb, custom leaf springs, double x-fer Case,  Crawl ratio now  “533:1” . Wow!
Michael: Traded his JK for a Prius and is moving to Oregon to join a Commune. (lets see who reads this)
PAST RUNS & CHANCES To LOCK AXLES and/or Hubs
Hollister Hills-
Matt spoke about alll the fun they had in Hollister. Good turn out, Tammi,Tom,Tony,Jeff,Marco,Mike,Don,Dave & Tom,Evengi. Perfect condition, no dust or MUD! Michael managed to help a broken Samurai
Tom and family got a chance to try some snow in Oregon on some higher mountains too.
 
UPCOMING RUNS & Chances To Lock Axles and/or Hubs
Mar 23, 24,25,26  Red Rock Canyon, Last Change Canyon Area, Desert Run:  Details coming soon. It’s less than the long-haul drive to Panamint and/or Death Valleys. Plan will be to drive to Red Rock area on Friday, camp or find nearby lodging. Saturday morning is our first run at  Dove Springs area, or possibly all the way into Panamint valley. On Sunday we will probably run trails int & near Last Chance Canyon, as this is closer to Tehachapi and the Bay Area, for those who may want to drive home Sunday evening. If you want to relax a bit, stay over Sunday night and head home on Monday. It been a long time for some of us since visiting the desert and we hope to get a good group assembled.
Mar 23-ish through April 1-ish – Moab Easter Jeep Safari:  Joe (and Alicia) will be there this year as after two years of engine rebuild madness forced Joe to miss the 50th anniversary in 2016 and having only a rental Mercedes GLS 450 in 2017. Means he’s been out of that loop for way too long. All are welcome to join this Joe for some fantastic wheeling. Some runs will be with the organized Moab Easter Jeep Safari venue, while others will be just club members s& guests. NOW is the time to make reservations with EJS, and a nearby campground or motel.  Spce will fill up very fast so don ot delay. Joe will be sending out more info shortly.
April 21- Adopt a Trail
 It;’ll be  a snow if there is any run, or a pre-run for the trail opening.
May 19- Hell Hole Reservoir
 Will run the trail. There is a camp ground at the trail head for smaller RV’s, but trailers not recommended 
FOR SALE or TRADE 
1979 Jeep CJ-5:  Still? Jim is looking to sell his 1979 Jeep CJ-5.  It’s been considerably modified, runs a chevy 350 and seems to do well Off Road, according to him.  Contact Jim at [email deleted]
TRAIL ACCESS & ISSUES
See Access News email from Paul E, sent Jan 9 with regard to the failed enviro lawsuit against Ocotillo Wells State Vehicle Recreation Area. Excellent news!
Meeting adjourned at around 8:30 PM. 
Next Meeting on April 10th , Round Table Pizza @ Oakmead Parkway in Sunnyvale.

Apologies for lagging updates

We are currently undergoing some overhauls on the web site. Rest assured that the club is still up and going strong, and the meeting date on the right margin is accurate. Hopefully we will have an updated web site shortly.

— Your Site Runner (Eric)

 

GETTIN’ OFF 4WD Off-Road Club – June14 Meeting Minutes

Website: http://www.gettinoff4x4.com . We meet monthly, every 2nd Tuesday Next meeting is July 12, Round Table Pizza at 1220 Oakmead Pkwy in Sunnyvale.

Meeting minutes are distributed a few days after each club meeting.
7:34 PM – Meeting begins

WELCOME and BOARD REPORTS

President – Terry: Welcomed guests & members.
Vice President – Pau;: Present, no reports. First meeting as new VP
Treasurer – Don: Unable to attend; club account has about $1100
Secretary – Brian: Present, no reports. First meeting as Sect.
Members Attending – No list obtained but a bunch
Brand New Members this month – none this month.
Guests Attending – Scott and family ’15 JK , Chris C ’96 4Runner, Sherman S. ’14 JK Ult.

NEWS, ACTIONS & IDEAS
1) We’re getting quite a few inquiries about the club through the net

2) New fiscal year, $60/yr (prorated $5/mth). Terry explained how our dues are split ($15 club/$45 for donation to wheeling related causes) Also for the guests, 3 meeting and 2 runs for membership.

2) We are updating the the members list. If you joined in the the last year or two, or need to update old data, Don our treasurer says: “..the Board is working to create an updated listing of members’ phone numbers, cities of residence, and of course being sure your current email address is current. Feel free to email me the pertinent data (you may use my personal email of merman1983@hotmail.com, and I will update our records. Your info remains in strict confidence…”

3) We met at RTP for the first time tonight. (Round Table at 1220 Oakmead Pkwy in Sunnyvale, 7-8:30 pm. )  We will meet here for the next 2 months and decide either to stay or find a more family style restaurant. Pizza is good but can get boring.
We are looking for a restaurant with a meeting room that holds about 25, has good parking in front, and reasonable prices. Ideally it is located in the ‘golden triangle defined by: south of 237, west of 880, and north/east of 101. Given that most are originating from Santa Clara area, we may want to avoid the northeast corner of Milpitas due to commute traffic at 7pm. Somewhere on or near Montague Expressway or Trimble or Brokaw looks about right, for example. Email your suggestions to the group or board. The Old Omega (Amigo?) Restaurant in Milpitas was mentioned as an future option.

4) Paul brought up the idea of becoming 503C. We’ll look into the pro’s and con’s
VEHICLE PAINS & PROJECTS, STUFF FOR SALE – – Lots of them!:

1) Eric – found out the front end was out of alignment. Fixed noe so he will start running his larger tires.
2) Randy – passed smog check by so he is street legal again!
3) Tom W has 2 4×4 vehicles for sale from his shop: ’90 Jeep Wrangler asking $900; ’68 Ford F100, asking $1000.
4) Joe – His engine is done, delivered in a few weeks. Looking forward to having it up by July 1st.
5) Grant- Swap in Currie Anti-Rocks. Issues with rubbing that he is trying to fix
6) Paul- Looking for aftermarket sway bar disconnect that eliminates having to un-pin the connections. Other are interested and will be looking into it.
RECENT RUNS & ‘CHANCES TO LOCK AXLES’

Adopt-a trail May 14: Aka Pine Needle Flat Trail Aka Sourgrass Trail. Terry reports 12 rigs. Very little trash. Met the Ranger Jeff H who is tracking the service of clubs on the trails Nice man, seems to be pro OHV. Paul sent him a link to some pictures. He couldn’t wheel the trail with us, but we’ll invite him for a ride along/picnic for the closing run. The most fun was removing a very large fallen tree. Cleared it, but considered making it a gate keeper.

UPCOMING RUNS

June 25 – Slick Rock . This will be an optional overnight, for those who want to camp “at the slabs” the night before. After the run, camp at Lake Alpine or nearby

July 14,15,16 – Rubicon. These days should avoid any jamborees or major events on the ‘Con.

August 26-27-28 BBQ Run. Looks like it’s Niagara Rim this year ! (since we ran Bear Valley Loop Trail last year). Still open to suggestions, but looking more like Niagara.

Sept – Barrett Lake. Just re-opened for wheeling late last year.

Oct – TBD
8:15 PM – Meeting adjourns

If there are any corrections, clarifications or updates, please chime-in. If you are an active member your name should be on this list:
Aaron, Alicia, Brad, Brian, Chris W, Chris S, Dimas, Don, Eric, Gary, Genna, Grant, Jon, Joe, Lyle, Marco, Mario, Matt, Michael, Paul E, Paul H, Rahul, Randy, Roger, Ron, Stan, Steve, Terry, Tom K, Tom W.

Campfire Permits are available at http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/ for fires at developed & undeveloped camping spots. You must also check with the current local forest rules-in-force before making a campfire also.